Private Pilot’s License – The first license, and for some, the only license, that you will work toward.  The Private License allows a pilot to carry passengers and to fly to any airport in the country.  With the Private License a pilot can fly many types of airplanes and experience new and wonderful possibilities.  In order to be eligible for a Private License, a candidate needs to be at least 17 years old and have 40 hours of flying time.  The student will fly cross-country flights, which are flights to airports at least 50 miles from Goshen, fly at night, and perform and become proficient at various maneuvers that will be demonstrated by the Flight Instructor.  Students will need to take and pass a FAA written exam as well as a practical exam.

Instrument Rating – The instrument rating allows a pilot to fly in the clouds and during times of reduced visibility.  The Instrument candidate will require 50 hours of Instrument flight, that is, flight using the instrument panel as your only reference.  As with the Private License, the Instrument rating requires successful completion of a written test and a practical test.

Commercial License – The next logical step, especially for those persons who want to make aviation a career.The Commercial License allows a pilot to get paid for flying.What could be better!Commercial pilot candidates are required to have 250 hours flying and will be tested in a complex airplane, or an airplane with retractable landing gear and a more powerful engine.A written and practical exam will also be required for this license.

Certified Flight Instructor – For those who want to teach others how to fly, this is the necessary certificate. The Certified Flight Instructor or CFI as it is commonly referred gives the pilot the ability to get paid for their services as an instructor to students as well as log flight time while instructing. The CFI requires two written test and a practical exam usually given by the FAA.